Recently added comments

There are 15,483 comments posted to the database.

Page 1 of 775 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 775

By Weedwhacker on May 22, 2015 11:53 AM, concerning plant: Common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris 'Grandma Nellie's Yellow Mushroom Bean')

Pole bean type. This bean originated in Russia and was obtained by Nellie Chernoff, of Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1952. The pods are yellow and are said to taste similar to mushrooms when cooked. Of note, the pods tend to open ("shatter") when dry.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Fine Fixin's')

Parentage: 08-618: (06-30, Din pollen parent, x 06-18: (04-355: (Elijah's Fire x 02-317: (99-465: (98-860: (95-410: (Pagan Pink x 93-444, Osay Canuc pod parent) x 95-338: (93-59: (Quick Pick x Shy Star) x Godsend)) x 97-727: (95-102: (Mind Reader x Deity) x Lightning Strike)) x 99-304: (95-110: (Gnu x All Aflutter) x Planet Janet))) x Lost and Found)) X Air of Mystery

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Cornbread n'Honey')

Parentage: GG 1138-B: (CC 759-A: (AA 1316-A: (N 502-FF, see Fashion Queen pod parent, x Gypsy Woman) x AA 674-A, Bold Fashion pod parent) x Conjuration) X KK 103-1: (FF 16-2: (AA 369-1: (S 186-B: (Master Touch x N 462, mixed seed) x Hello Darkness) x Thunder Spirit) x Twilight Blaze)

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Dylanger's Deal')

Parentage: Grapetizer X 08-489: (Dance Recital x 05-287: (02-14: (Fogbound x A-303, see Different Take) x 03-288: (01-224: (97-273: (Gnu x 94-91: (Cloud Ballet x Deity)) x 99-484, see Materialistic Mama) x 01-167: (Pieces of April x 97-479: (Lackawana x 95-94: (Deity x 91-345: (Blackout x Inaugural Ball)))))))

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Expatriation')

Parentage: 08-72: (06-10, Trash Talk sib, x 06-8: (04-587: (Stand in Awe x 02-238: (Abdul Unknown x A-558: (99-346: (Picante x Osay Canuc) x 98-398, see No Brainer))) x 03-364: (01-511: (99-487: (97-794: (95-92: (Ominous Stranger x 91-222: (Los Coyotes x Jitterbug)) x Harmonics)x 97-341C, see Western Ways)) x 95-114: (96-200: (Cheating Heart x Christopherson 04: (Spirit World x Gypsy Skirts)) x Gordon Rules) x 01-488: (Pucker Power x 99-784: (Brave New World x Armadillo Run))))) X Dallas Done Right

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Ona Roll')

Parentage: Sneak a Peak X 09-67: (Tomball x 07-173: (Pokin Around x 05-372: (03-180: (01-99: (99-282, Big Bad Bob pod parent, x 98-71: (Osay Canuc x 95-194: (Dauber's Delight x 93-442: (Amelia's Orchid x Stingray)))) x 01-172: (Ice for Brice x Comet Connie)) x 03-169: (Stand in Awe x A-481, see Toga Party))))

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Pete Sa Party')

Parentage: 08-335: (06-80: (Yuppy Puppy x 03-906: (01-86: (98-202, Indy Edith pollen parent, x 99-394, see I'm So Vain) x 00-417: (Wing Commander x 97-228: (95-416: (Dance for Joy x 93-442: (Amelia's Orchid x Stingray)) x LIghtning Strike)))) x 05-310, Inchoation pollen parent) X Frills and Chills

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By admin on May 21, 2015 2:03 PM, concerning plant: Iris (Iris 'Thunder Down Under')

Parentage: Magnificent Masterpiece X 08-730: (04-35: (02-71: (A-558: (98-346: (Picante x Osay Canuc) x 98-398, see No Brainer) x A-572, Dazzling Sarah pollen parent) x 02-78: (99-369: (97-727: (95-102: (Mind Reader x Deity) x Lightning Strike) x 97-564, see Lip Smackin Good) x A-398: (Cookie Combo x 97-1128, see Dazzling Sarah))) x Worship Me)

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Dutchlady1 on May 21, 2015 5:35 AM, concerning plant: Plumeria (Plumeria rubra 'Hokulani')

This Hawaiian variety is very close but - in my opinion - not identical to a Thai variety known as 'Linda'

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By farmerdill on May 20, 2015 7:05 PM, concerning plant: Squash (Cucurbita pepo 'Terminator')

A classic grey zucchini, tapered cylindrical shape, speckled mid-green color. Very vigorous but compact bush-type vine. Good disease resistance. Does well here.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Dutchlady1 on May 19, 2015 6:42 PM, concerning plant: Plumeria (Plumeria rubra 'Jack 2')

This is a 'Jungle Jack's' variety from Thailand.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By GardenQuilts on May 19, 2015 4:55 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Pink Grootendorst')

I love hardy own-root roses!

When I saw a healthy own-root specimen of this rose in Walmart for $5, it leaped into my cart! I need some more "tough guys" to keep William Baffin company at the edge of the yard.

I have been admiring pictures of this rose for a while, so I was delighted to find one locally: at Walmart, of all places.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By GardenQuilts on May 19, 2015 4:21 PM, concerning plant: Rose (Rosa 'Milano')

A good alternative to red Knock Out roses.

I wanted to buy my neighbor his first ever rose. It had to be a no-fuss manly rose!!!

I was looking for a hardy, disease resistant, reblooming, colorful (but not pink) shrub or floribunda rose on its own roots and already blooming. I was thinking of a red double Knock Out rose, but didn't see a healthy specimen in the stores. I saw this rose in Lowe's next to the Knock Out roses. It has pristine, shiny, dark green leaves and deep red blooms.

One advantage of buying roses in big box stores is that you can see how the blooms age. (They don't deadhead the roses. I suspect they may not even water the poor things.) Milano's blooms stay red as they age, while the red Knock Out roses fade to a garish reddish-pink color. I saw very slight bluing on a couple of blooms: just a fine line around the outer petals, much less than on many very dark red roses.

The blooms aren't fragrant, unfortunately.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By kylaluaz on May 19, 2015 1:32 PM, concerning plant: Cucumber (Cucumis sativus 'Bushy')

I chose this variety because it's said to only grow a five-foot long vine, or so, and I have limited space. I only intended to plant out two from the seeds I sowed, but it turned out that two I planted out first in containers, thinking I'd give them away, developed faster than the two in the ground. So now I have four. When I transplanted them from their winter sowing jug, I could smell the cucumber scent on the roots! And I am thrilled that all four plants now have fruit. Couldn't be happier with the plants so far. (Seed packet was purchased from Seed Savers Exchange.)

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By kylaluaz on May 18, 2015 6:44 PM, concerning plant: Lily (Lilium 'Tiny Parrot')

The flowers of this lily are significantly larger than those of Tiny Orange Sensation (I wondered if I had confused them somehow.) As well, Tiny Parrot has a rim of yellow-gold around the edge of each petal. So it is fairly easy to tell the two apart after all. This lily makes an amazing display for such a small plant.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By critterologist on May 18, 2015 11:00 AM, concerning plant: Fernleaf Peony (Paeonia tenuifolia)

I love this peony! The foliage is distinctive, and the bloom is a lovely deep red. It gets bigger and blooms more every year (like any peony, I suppose). I appreciate that it shoots up earlier than other herbaceous peonies, so it's less likely to be stepped on by small feet when the kids are picking daffodils.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By critterologist on May 18, 2015 10:35 AM, concerning plant: Miracle Fruit (Synsepalum dulcificum)

I was successful with this plant on the 2nd try... potted it with half perlite and half Pro Mix BX (a peat based potting mix), put it in bright indirect light, and tried to keep it evenly moist.

Fruit can be left on the branch to dry and will have the same "sweet-inducing" effect. The "miraculin" acts like a key in a lock on your "sweet" receptors, but the key only turns in the presence of an acid. Your "sour" receptors still taste the acid, so you don't lose the intensity or tang of a sour fruit. Rather, it tastes like it's been rolled in sugar. Far out!!

We almost have enough fruits saved up for another "flavor tripping" party!

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By critterologist on May 18, 2015 10:29 AM, concerning plant: Summer Snowflake (Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant')

I'm thinking this one might need a few years to settle in. Its first spring, I didn't see any blooms in the corner where I planted a dozen bulbs, and I assumed the voles ate them. This spring, I spotted this one bloom stem, and there were a number of tufts of similar leaves. I'm hoping for a better show next year!

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By critterologist on May 18, 2015 10:09 AM, concerning plant: Grape Hyacinth (Bellevalia paradoxa)

I didn't love this variety in catalogs, but when I saw it blooming this spring in Aspenhill's garden, I was hooked! The bicolor effect is really yummy, shading from dusky purple blooms near the base to blue-lavender as the blooms open at the top,

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By critterologist on May 18, 2015 10:05 AM, concerning plant: Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans Chocolate Chip)

It does seem to need extra TLC until it fills in... this spring, it seems dense enough that I won't need to keep picking little weeds out of it. It took several years to establish in 2 areas of my garden (around "special" shrubs), but the result was worth the extra effort, as it's a beautiful low groundcover.

Page 1 of 775 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 775