Recently added comments

There are 15,575 comments posted to the database.

Page 1 of 779 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 779

By Marilyn on Jul 4, 2015 12:40 AM, concerning plant: Tall Bearded Iris (Iris 'Wildcat Madness')

When I saw a beautiful Iris pic here at ATP that was named 'Wildcat Madness', I knew that the hybridizer had to live in Kentucky. I've only lived in Kentucky since the summer of 1996, but it is truly Wildcat madness here in the state, because of the University of Kentucky Wildcats that are in Lexington.

The hybridizer John Van Hook, lives in Somerset, Kentucky. I don't grow any Irises at this time, but if I did, this would certainly have a spot in my garden.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By krobra on Jul 3, 2015 10:16 PM, concerning plant: Crocosmia (Crocosmia 'Lucifer')

I have tried for 7 or 8 years to get this plant to bloom , always stalks and plenty of offshoots and last year had a flower stem with buds , but it got chewed up by something and fell off before it ever matured. This year , Finally have actual flower blooms on 2 stalks and a whole lot of extra offshoots , more then usual. Only thing I can say I really did different was water it every other day heavily at the soil this year. The Hummingbirds seem to enjoy the flowers as do I , it was a long time from bulb planting to actual flowering for me , but very pretty flower and a hardy plant that has come back year after year in my zone. I look forward to the day when I have an army of them blooming.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Marilyn on Jul 3, 2015 7:13 PM, concerning plant: Mexican Sage (Salvia mexicana 'Queretaro')

Considering the height and width of this Salvia, a larger container than a 3 gallon pot is needed.

Similar to Salvia 'Limelight', it is much larger overall and more vigorous.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By MLewis on Jul 3, 2015 11:20 AM, concerning plant: Snow Plant (Sarcodes sanguinea)

Sarcodes is a parasitic plant that lacks chlorophyll and lives via a symbiotic relationship between the plant and native fungi. Sarcodes fixes carbon for the fungi, and gets nutrients it lacks in return.

Only visible in bloom, the bright red you see is just the inflorescence. Bloom time is late spring to early summer.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By MissyPenny on Jul 3, 2015 10:06 AM, concerning plant: Pizza Thyme (Thymus nummularius)

This aromatic hybrid herb is flavorsome: delightful for use in tomato dishes or as a garnish.
I have had fine results drying the glossy leaves and stems and using the crushed herb as a seasoning in breads and on baked squash.
Quite easy to grow. Mine is in full sun, here in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By dave on Jul 3, 2015 8:17 AM, concerning plant: Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia Bradberry Wine™)

From the patent: "...upright to somewhat outwardly spreading plant habit; freely branching habit; dark green-colored leaves; large inflorescences with showy red purple-colored flowers; resistance to Powdery Mildew; and good garden performance."

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Dinu on Jul 2, 2015 10:52 PM, concerning plant: Bael Fruit (Aegle marmelos)

A juice prepared from the pulp is known to be of high medicinal value. The tree is dedicated to the Hindu God, Lord Shiva, and in Shiva temples in India the ritual of offering the trifoliate leaves is considered very holy. This importance appears to be due to the medicinal properties of the entire tree, seed, fruit, bark, root, and leaf.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By plantrob on Jul 1, 2015 8:32 PM, concerning plant: Chinese Green Dragon (Pinellia pedatisecta)

Quite the spreader - it seems like every seed it sets grows into a plant, and some pop up in unusual places, including spots in full sun, where they do fine despite their reputation as a shade plant. They quickly grow a small bulb, which grows into a large flattened bulb over the course of a few years. While I like them, they've gotten out of hand in a few garden areas, so I treat them with caution these days.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Sandymaex on Jun 29, 2015 10:23 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Wisk Me Away')

I love this daylily. It is flowering in my garden today--Beautiful and Fragrant.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By farmerdill on Jun 29, 2015 8:55 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Mountain Majesty')

This was very disappointing in this year's trials. It has very little resistance to TSWV. Not only are fruits affected, but the vines are going down as the fruit begins to ripen. I had high hopes for it as Mountain Merit is a very good TSWV tomato. Mountain Majesty is the poorest performer claiming TSWV resistance that I have tried to date.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By farmerdill on Jun 29, 2015 8:48 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'PS 01522942')

A large (8-12 ounce) TSWV-resistant, round, red tomato. It is a vigorous determinate. While the fruits show some of the yellow spots and flecks of TSWV, they are maintaining size and quality. Plants seem unaffected. Best performer in this year's trials. It has an excellent disease package.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By plantrob on Jun 28, 2015 1:48 PM, concerning plant: German Garlic (Allium senescens subsp. glaucum)

I'd grow this allium even if it never bloomed. The bluish-green foliage on a mature plant is marvelous: broad, just a little curvaceous, with a smooth rounded tip. They take a few years (from seed) to reach this stage, but it's worth it. I grow them in the rock garden.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By MikeD on Jun 27, 2015 12:04 PM, concerning plant: Brussels Sprouts (Brassica oleracea 'Hestia')

100 days. Richly-flavored, bright-green with yellow interiors, 1-inch diameter sprouts. For cold-winter areas, sow early as a spring transplant for summer-fall harvest. In mild-winter areas, plant late summer / early fall for winter-to-spring harvest. Tolerates both warm and cool weather. Harvest from bottom to top of stalk over several weeks.

[Descriptive Source: Bejo Seeds, Inc. and All-America Selection®]

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By MikeD on Jun 27, 2015 11:39 AM, concerning plant: Radish (Raphanus sativus 'Roxanne')

25 days. Medium top. Very uniform in size and in its bright red color. Excellent heat resistance. Creamy white, superb quality interiors. Verified by AAS judges as suitable for climates all over North America.

[Descriptive Source: Bejo Seeds, Inc. & All-America Selections®]

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By dave on Jun 27, 2015 7:40 AM, concerning plant: Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Freedom')

This is a very nice red blooming crepe myrtle released by Stan Brown of Blossomberry Nursery in Arkansas. Japanese Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia 'Tonto') is in its parentage, and it has reblooming characteristics.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By gardengus on Jun 26, 2015 7:34 PM, concerning plant: Shasta Daisy (Leucanthemum 'Real Dream')

I must say I am disappointed in the color of this daisy. The online photo and even the tag color show a pleasing pale yellow. The flower in my garden is yellow the first day of opening and quickly fades to a dirty white.

(the attached reply has photos of plants and tag)

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By plantrob on Jun 26, 2015 4:09 PM, concerning plant: Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica 'Rubra')

I planted this as a small tree in 1999, in our zone 6 Pennsylvania garden. It's been a marvellous asset to our front-yard garden ever since, even tolerating annual decoration with Christmas lights. After it matured, the bark became at least as much of an attraction as the flowers: The underside of the tree stays bare of leaves and twigs, really showcasing the structure and the exfoliating bark. Sadly, our specimen appears to be on its last legs, only leafing out on a third of its main uprights. Perhaps two true zone-6 winters in a row was too much for this Southern lady...

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By plantrob on Jun 25, 2015 7:52 PM, concerning plant: Bellflower (Campanula incurva)

The information above lists this plant as a biennial, but in my experience, it's one step worse than a biennial: a triennial (if that exists), blooming in its third year and then dying. Still, it's such a striking plant when it does bloom that it's worth it. Just have to remember to keep starting new plants every year, so that there's always a crop in bloom somewhere around the garden :-)

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By kidfishing on Jun 25, 2015 8:59 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Coyote Moon')

Coyote Moon has very sturdy scapes with lots of buds.
One of the best performers in the garden.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Ursula on Jun 24, 2015 8:45 AM, concerning plant: (Dendrobium bigibbum)

My plant is Dendrobium bigibbum var compactum.

Page 1 of 779 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 779