Recently added comments

There are 16,104 comments posted to the database.

Page 1 of 806 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 806

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 7:24 AM, concerning plant: Pink Pussytoes (Antennaria rosea)

My Pink Pussytoes was only a very tiny patch Spring of 2015. It went crazy this summer. Expanding to more then ten times its original size! I did not however have very many blooms. This was disappointing since I had never seen pink blooms before (I have had the white Antennaria for years). I was happy however that the EXTREME amount of Painted Lady caterpillars that took up residence in the spring on other Antennaria I have were not seen much on the Antennaria rosea. Looking forward to more blooms next year.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 7:19 AM, concerning plant: Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea New Snow)

In past years Anaphalis New Snow has been ultra vigorous for me. I had two stands of it. They were both taking up too much room so I removed one. Also, I find numerous seedlings in the general area. Every early summer it is host to the Painted Lady butterfly. I always leave the caterpillars because they never seem to do too much damage even though I find their "nests" to be unsightly. However, this summer 2015 they completely covered the plant and decimated the large stand. It is now October and a few pieces are alive and about 3 inches tall. So hopefully I will have it next year. But it was very disappointing to miss a year of these unusual interesting blooms.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 7:12 AM, concerning plant: Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans 'Dixie Chip')

Ajuga Dixie Chip is probably one of my favorite Ajugas. However it is my least hardy Ajuga. In fact, I no longer have any. For me, most Ajugas are aggressive and need high maintenance to keep them where I want them or I plant them where they cannot escape the area. But ever time I have tried Dixie Chip it has died out. I will admit that I have never kept it in deep shade or kept it well watered (I am brutal when it comes to watering. After a plant is established, if we don't get enough rain whatever survives minimal watering is all that stays). But I have three other Ajugas that have survived, if not thrived even in challenging conditions. I may try Dixie Chip again if I find it on closeout or discounted. But I won't pay full price for it again.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 7:02 AM, concerning plant: Mexican Hyssop (Agastache mexicana 'Champagne')

I bought this Agastache Champagne from Bluestone Perennials in spring 2014. I am torn about the blooms. The color is certainly different from all the other agastaches I have. But I am not sure I like it.

The plant itself only performed ok in 2014. It survived winter 2015 barely. And then it appeared dead in the wet spring. However a very small sprig did seem to survive. I dug up the plant and kept it in a pot all summer. Slowly it came back to health. It did not get mildew like some of the other Agastaches in my nursery. I planted it back out in a new bed end of August. It is doing quite well and even bloomed a bit. So it is a fighter! Hopefully it will over winter fine this year. While I am still undecided about the color I will keep it as I need as much Agastache as possible for the hummingbirds.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 6:53 AM, concerning plant: Hyssop (Agastache cana 'Purple Pygmy')

This was the second year for my Purple Pygmy. It barely survived the winter and spring so I am glad it even stuck around for summer. It certainly was not a great plant this year. But it was a harsh winter, a wet spring, and a hot dry summer. It did bloom a bit. Hoping for better next summer. But if it does not survive I will replace it. It is a great all around Agastache.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 6:49 AM, concerning plant: Hyssop (Agastache 'Summer Fiesta')

I absolutely love this Agastache. It has a wonderful color. It is not dwarf but it does not get too big. This was the second year for mine. Sadly it was not very vigorous. But it did survive and by the end of the summer it was of decent size and health that its chances for overwintering seem good. It did however throw off some seeds that produced interesting seedlings. One is more pink than the original. It is a lovely plant. One seedling seems to be almost identical to the parent. And the third seedling produced a washed out pink bloom that is not very attractive. I plan to remove this one.

I do hope the parent plant survives as I did not see this sold at the big box stores this year and did not find any mail order companies offering this variety.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jvdubb on Oct 10, 2015 6:43 AM, concerning plant: Hyssop (Agastache 'Summer Glow')

I have two of these plants bought two years apart. The first one did not come back yellow this year. It was a pale pink. It seemed to be the original plant that overwintered. But perhaps the original plant did die and what came back was from seed. I don't think this is the case. I am not a fan of the mutation. But I kept the plant anyway to see what it does next year.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Chillybean on Oct 9, 2015 9:27 AM, concerning plant: Queen of the Prairie (Filipendula rubra)

This plant is native to the North-eastern portion of the United States and is considered an obligate wetland plant; this means it will almost always be found in the Wetlands. The Queen of the Prairie is considered Threatened in Iowa and Michigan; Endangered in Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey and North Carolina. In areas where it is found naturally, it is an indication of high quality habitat.

I planted several bare roots in early spring of 2015. I placed them in the areas that would get field run off and at times have standing water. I enjoyed watching the emerging leaves come up. I hoped to see flowers, but tried telling myself that it may take time. As the season progressed and we did not get as much rain, I noticed the plants started drooping. We save rain water, so gave them plenty of that between rainfalls. Some late season rains helped this plant a lot.

This plant is a real fighter. One of my patches was mowed early July. Oh! I was devastated; I could not even look for a day. I had someone else dump water on the area. I braced myself the next day and found there were only a few old leaves left. I poured gallon after gallon of water in the spot and new life showed itself. I was so relieved.

Beginning in September, buds started forming on one that had been mowed. That was not expected at all. They usually bloom in the heat of the summer. With the first frost approaching, I really did not think they would open, but they did! What a glorious surprise!

Though seemingly unrelated, this plant belongs to the Rose Family. For insects seeking nectar, they will be disappointed as the only food it supplies is pollen. Deer and other mammals seem to leave the foliage alone.

I plant my natives with the thought they can go where they will, either by seed or underground. For those who like a neat garden, this may not be the one for you. It can be rather lively in smaller areas as it spreads by rhizomes.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jmorth on Oct 8, 2015 8:39 AM, concerning plant: Large Cupped Daffodil (Narcissus 'Culmination')

1982 saw the arrival of the division-2 cultivar 'Culmination' from West Coast hybridizer Grant Mitsch (Oregon). Culmination, being both seed and pollen fertile, has been instrumental as a parent cross (7 as seed parent and 22 as pollen parent)) for subsequent daffodil cultivars. Of the 29 known crosses, 27 have advanced as named daffodils (2 are noted seedlings). The named cultivars were born between 1995 and 2011 in the USA (19 times), New Zealand (7 times), and England (1 time).
Culmination is a nicely proportioned daffodil with a "pink" (salmon-rose) corona against a white background (petals).

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By BillAlleysDLs on Oct 8, 2015 7:15 AM, concerning plant: Dinner Plate Dahlia (Dahlia 'Otto's Thrill')

Prolific blooms, big and beautiful!

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jmorth on Oct 7, 2015 11:35 AM, concerning plant: Maltese Cross (Silene chalcedonica)

Pertaining to Silene chalcedonica: "Chalcedonica" epithet refers to Chalcedon, an ancient town in present-day Turkey.
My attempt to grow this plant, unfortunately, was a failure.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Chillybean on Oct 7, 2015 10:56 AM, concerning plant: Lion's Foot (Prenanthes alba)

The Lion's Foot, also called White Lettuce, is native to the the Northeast portion of the United States, extending into the eastern portion of the Dakotas. It is also native to Eastern Canada, as far west as Saskatchewan.

This plant grows best in dappled sunlight in fertile, loamy soil, but can tolerate rocky soils. It likes average moisture.

My plant did well in nearly full shade, only getting early morning sunlight. The soil is not the best, but this is one of the few things that has actually succeeded growing in this spot. The only rain it received is what the Lord provided.

It formed many buds and the first flowers opened in mid-August. They continued blooming for a while before stopping. To my surprise, in early October it is opening more flowers. Unlike the early flowers that had straight stamens, these are curled up, giving this a unique appearance. For some reason, the Pink-spotted Ladybeetles are drawn to this plant right now, covering the flowers and buds.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By DogsNDaylilies on Oct 7, 2015 9:47 AM, concerning plant: Wax Plant (Hoya davidcummingii)

I read on the SRQ Website that this one smells like butterscotch--how intriguing!

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jmorth on Oct 7, 2015 9:32 AM, concerning plant: Trumpet Daffodil (Narcissus 'Cromarty')

This award winning and historic yellow trumpet daffodil was bred in Scotland by The Brodie of Brodie in Brodie Castle, Scotland, by1927 and registered in 1930 with the RHS. Cromarty has achieved a degree of fame, being the source of 40 subsequent crossings by hybridizers from various English (empire) and Irish sources between 1927 and 1999. Many of the best known breeders from these areas worked with this cultivar. From their efforts, they've produced 38 named cultivars (and 2 noted seedlings). Cromarty was utilized as a seed parent 21 times and as a pollen parent 19 times.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Frillylily on Oct 6, 2015 11:41 AM, concerning plant: Stonecrop (Hylotelephium spectabile 'Autumn Fire')

Blooms for me were a soft pink color and for this reason I parted with it. Bloomed the first week of Oct, I consider light pink to be a spring color. I have grown Autumn Joy and it has a richer color, more appropriate for a fall color palette.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jmorth on Oct 6, 2015 10:42 AM, concerning plant: Large Cupped Daffodil (Narcissus 'Crocus')

This all yellow cultivar was bred by the Englishman Percival Williams in 1927 and has been the recipient of the RHS Award of Merit three times and the First Class Certificate twice. Crocus has been well utilized in the world of daffodil breeders in both seed parent role (10 times) and pollen parent role (47 times). From these efforts have arisen 52 named cultivars and 5 noted seedlings. This happened from 1938 to 1979 from various locations that were once part of the British Empire (Australia, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, England) and Ireland.
That's a pretty good track record.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By jmorth on Oct 6, 2015 10:21 AM, concerning plant: Large Cupped Daffodil (Narcissus 'Creag Dubh')

Creag Dubh was bred by England's John S B Lea in 1978. It's both seed and pollen fertile, used in the former capacity 7 times and 8 times in the latter capacity, The 15 crosses have resulted in 14 named cultivars from England, New Zealand, Australia and the United States from 1999 to 2014.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Bonehead on Oct 4, 2015 9:52 PM, concerning plant: False Solomon's Seal (Maianthemum racemosum)

Native in the Pacific Northwest, found in moist to wet shaded areas. The berries, mottled green to begin with and then bright red, are edible but not particularly palatable. Naturalizes readily in areas it likes, then goes dormant about mid-summer. Used medicinally by various native peoples. I find it a good companion for bulbs.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By Bonehead on Oct 4, 2015 9:29 PM, concerning plant: Curly Willow (Salix matsudana)

This is a fairly fast growing tree, up to about 30'. Interesting twisty branching, but as with all willows, it's messy (drops leaves and twigs) so give some thought to the siting. As it matures, you can prune out branches for many uses. I've used cuttings for chicken roosts, birdhouse posts, and garden edgings. Easy to propagate, just snip off some whips and set them in water until they root. Or jam them directly into a swampy area. Be cautious about planting too close to your septic system as it is a water hog.

[ Give a thumbs up | Reply to this comment ]

By DavidLMO on Oct 4, 2015 7:43 PM, concerning plant: Queen of the Prairie (Filipendula rubra)

A beautiful plant for those who like to grow natives. Insects love it.

Page 1 of 806 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 806