Post a reply

Nov 11, 2015 6:00 PM CST
Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Count your blessings, be grateful
Region: Ukraine Organic Gardener Keeps Goats Zinnias Dog Lover Morning Glories
Annuals Bee Lover Dragonflies Butterflies Hummingbirder Birds
I misunderstood something I guess Confused So if someone doesn't check it we don't even see it? I thought we would see their whole list but the ones available to us would have a check next to it.
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Nov 11, 2015 7:47 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
Name: Dave Whitinger
Southlake, Texas (Zone 8a)
Region: Texas Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Tomato Heads Vermiculture Garden Research Contributor
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level Region: Ukraine Garden Sages
When the swap is actually under way, you will only see the plants that you actually have access to call dibs on. I mean, what good is it to clutter the screen with a bunch of items that are unavailable for one reason or another?
Nov 11, 2015 7:50 PM CST
Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Count your blessings, be grateful
Region: Ukraine Organic Gardener Keeps Goats Zinnias Dog Lover Morning Glories
Annuals Bee Lover Dragonflies Butterflies Hummingbirder Birds
I like that idea Thumbs up
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Nov 11, 2015 7:52 PM CST
Name: Jay
Nederland, Texas (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Region: Gulf Coast Charter ATP Member I helped beta test the first seed swap I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Tip Photographer Garden Sages Garden Ideas: Master Level Hibiscus
What's the official start time Dave?
wildflowersoftexas.com

Nov 11, 2015 8:00 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
Region: Texas Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Tomato Heads Vermiculture Garden Research Contributor
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level Region: Ukraine Garden Sages
The dates I published in the swap are the official times:

http://garden.org/apps/swap/vi...

Enrollment Begins: November 11, 2015
Trade Requests Begin: November 17, 2015
Send Seeds to Host: November 30, 2015
Deadline for seeds receipt by host: December 11, 2015
Finished: December 14, 2015

My thinking is that next week people can start calling dibs on what they want and then right after thanksgiving, everyone can send the seeds to me. They'd have almost 2 weeks to get them into my hands and then I'd get them turned around by the 14th of December.
Nov 11, 2015 8:01 PM CST
Region: Texas Region: Gulf Coast Charter ATP Member I helped beta test the first seed swap I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Tip Photographer Garden Sages Garden Ideas: Master Level Hibiscus
dave said:The dates I published in the swap are the official times:

My thinking is that next week people can start calling dibs on what they want and then right after thanksgiving, everyone can send the seeds to me. They'd have almost 2 weeks to get them into my hands and then I'd get them turned around by the 14th of December.

Time not date.
wildflowersoftexas.com

Nov 11, 2015 8:03 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
Ahh, sorry. We'll be going on ATP time which is UTC. That is 6 hours ahead of CST.

So midnight, November 11th is actually 6:00pm Nov10 in Texas.

So trade requests will begin 6:00pm CT November 16th.
Nov 11, 2015 8:17 PM CST
Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
Frugal Gardener Garden Procrastinator I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest
Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database.
First, thank you for all the hard work, and such a clean roll-out! I had zero problems, no confusion or hesitation, and it could not have gone faster.

dave said:...
Why do it this way? This is so you can maintain a full list, and one a swap-by-swap basis you can decide which seeds to offer. So if someone makes a Tomatoes-Only swap in the future, you can join their swap and then check off the box for just the tomatoes.

If you are a member of multiple swaps occurring at the same time, there will be separate columns for each swap you're a part of.

In the future, will it be one row in the Swap List for each variety offered in each swap? Or will there be one row for each variety, and multiple columns like "3 for Dave's swap, 2 for Greene's swap, 1 for Corey's swap"?

I was hoping for the latter some day, so that each single row would serve as my inventory-tracking for that variety - as if one column was either the total, or the # not yet allocated to any swap.

If it went that way, then instead of the (easy) gray-to-green-checkoff-click, we would have to enter the number of pkts committed to each swap, and subtract that number from the "uncommitted" column.

But why should your swap feature have to manage my inventory?
Nov 11, 2015 8:23 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
It is the latter. In fact, it's already programmed that way but you can't see it because there is currently only one swap in play right now. But if there were multiple swaps going on, and if you were a member of them, then you would see two or more columns in your list, one column for each swap. You could check off the green button for both swaps and it would then be available to both. As soon as your quantity is automatically decremented to 0 (through people calling dibs) it would disappear from all swaps that it's associated with.
Nov 11, 2015 8:24 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
But you can't set the quantity per swap. For each item, all quantities are available for each swap or they are not. And then they are claimed and when gone, they are gone.
Nov 11, 2015 8:27 PM CST
Frugal Gardener Garden Procrastinator I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest
Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database.
Oh WOW!

I never thought of that as a possibility!

Do you mean that if I list 10 pkts, and then check two swaps, BOTH swaps will initially have access to (up to) 10 pkts, and whoever requests them first, gets them?

Cool!

That even eliminates hurt feelings over "why did you offer 3 pkts to HER swap, and only TWO pkts to mine?!?"

Thinkin' ahead!
Nov 11, 2015 8:27 PM CST
cross-posted, that's a "YES".
Nov 11, 2015 9:07 PM CST
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River Twp, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
dave said:The dates I published in the swap are the official times:

Did I miss this info somewhere along the line? How do we actually request the seeds we want, and do we request everything all at once, or? And, will we be notified which ones we've been granted? I ask that last one because, for instance, if I requested 10 packets from assorted members with my first request and I was getting them all, I likely wouldn't want to request anything else; but if I wasn't getting any of them, or only a few of them, then I would be looking for some other things to request.

Thanks! Smiling
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer
C/F temp conversion
Nov 11, 2015 9:19 PM CST
Name: Lynne
Houston, TX. Zone 9b (Zone 9b)
Enjoys or suffers hot summers I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Wow. You all think of everything. This is a complicated little program. Kudos Dave. And your instructions today were spot on.
Nov 11, 2015 9:20 PM CST
Sandy, if my understanding is correct, there is no wait for approval. If you see a plant you want and it shows that there are some available then you click on it and it is yours. The system will count down the number of packs left, so as long as you see there are some left then you can select it.
wildflowersoftexas.com

Last edited by Horntoad Nov 11, 2015 9:21 PM Icon for preview
Nov 11, 2015 9:47 PM CST
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River Twp, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Oh! Thanks, Jay -- that's almost too easy, isn't it! Big Grin
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer
C/F temp conversion
Nov 12, 2015 9:02 AM CST
Garden.org Admin
That's right. You call dibs on what you want and it's yours.

We will have a limit on how many dibs you can call per day, to give people a chance. On day 1 of trading, you'll want to call dibs on the most valuable (to you) items. On day 2 you can then call dibs on more items. And so forth until the trading is closed.

Figuring out just how to make that work is another matter. How many dibs can be called will have to be different depending on how many people are in the game, and how many offers of seeds are present. If there's 100 people and over 10,000 different varieties, then obviously you should be able to select a huge amount per day, versus a swap with 20 people and only perhaps 500 items.
Nov 12, 2015 9:45 AM CST
Name: Lynn
Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
My mind is trying to see how we will call dibs. Will the list of participants offers have a column that we click on?
Nov 12, 2015 10:07 AM CST
Garden.org Admin
Yes, it'll work something like that. You'll click on a "Dibs" icon and confirm your choice, and it's yours.
Nov 12, 2015 10:40 AM CST
Name: Lynn
Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b)
Charter ATP Member Garden Sages I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I helped beta test the Garden Planting Calendar I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Database Moderator
Forum moderator I helped beta test the first seed swap Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant and/or Seed Trader Garden Ideas: Master Level
Thumbs up Thank you Dave.

You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.
  • Started by: dave
  • Replies: 52, views: 1,397
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Ballerina Rose Hybrid"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.