Post a reply

Nov 12, 2015 11:26 AM CST
Name: Jay
Nederland, Texas (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Region: Gulf Coast Charter ATP Member I helped beta test the first seed swap I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Tip Photographer Garden Sages Garden Ideas: Master Level Hibiscus
dave said:That's right. You call dibs on what you want and it's yours.

We will have a limit on how many dibs you can call per day, to give people a chance. On day 1 of trading, you'll want to call dibs on the most valuable (to you) items. On day 2 you can then call dibs on more items. And so forth until the trading is closed.

Figuring out just how to make that work is another matter. How many dibs can be called will have to be different depending on how many people are in the game, and how many offers of seeds are present. If there's 100 people and over 10,000 different varieties, then obviously you should be able to select a huge amount per day, versus a swap with 20 people and only perhaps 500 items.

We will be limited on how many we can pick per day. So I'm guessing that each new day will begin at the same time (6pm CT) and we will be able to make our additional picks at that time.
wildflowersoftexas.com

Nov 12, 2015 11:34 AM CST
Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
Frugal Gardener Garden Procrastinator I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest
Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database.
I like the "new day" occurring when we can take advantage of it without staying up until midnight.
Nov 12, 2015 11:41 AM CST
Name: Sandy B.
Ford River Twp, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
I agree
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer
C/F temp conversion
Nov 12, 2015 12:13 PM CST
Garden.org Admin
Name: Dave Whitinger
Southlake, Texas (Zone 8a)
Region: Texas Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Tomato Heads Vermiculture Garden Research Contributor
Million Pollinator Garden Challenge Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Master Level Region: Ukraine Garden Sages
Horntoad said:We will be limited on how many we can pick per day. So I'm guessing that each new day will begin at the same time (6pm CT) and we will be able to make our additional picks at that time.

Yes, that's right.
Nov 12, 2015 12:15 PM CST
Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Count your blessings, be grateful
Region: Ukraine Organic Gardener Keeps Goats Zinnias Dog Lover Morning Glories
Annuals Bee Lover Dragonflies Butterflies Hummingbirder Birds
Call me confused Confused I am EST not sure when I get to call dibs. My 6pm?
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Nov 12, 2015 12:38 PM CST
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Bee Lover Butterflies Birds I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Greenhouse Region: United States of America Region: Michigan Enjoys or suffers cold winters
6 pm Central is 7 pm for us, Ronnie Smiling
“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~ Albert Schweitzer
C/F temp conversion
Nov 12, 2015 12:40 PM CST
Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Count your blessings, be grateful
Region: Ukraine Organic Gardener Keeps Goats Zinnias Dog Lover Morning Glories
Annuals Bee Lover Dragonflies Butterflies Hummingbirder Birds
Thanks Sandy *Blush*
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Nov 12, 2015 12:43 PM CST
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
I tip my hat to you.
I live near the time zone "edge" -- it can get confusing!
C/F temp conversion
Nov 12, 2015 1:01 PM CST
Frugal Gardener Garden Procrastinator I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest
Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database.
Time Zone edge, USDA Hardiness Zone edge, UP on the edge of the Arctic ... you really DO live on the edge in many ways, Sandy!
Nov 12, 2015 3:10 PM CST
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
But then, I'm also right in the middle, Rick -- at latitude 45 ! Rolling on the floor laughing Rolling on the floor laughing
C/F temp conversion
Nov 12, 2015 3:25 PM CST
I see ... plumb dread-center in the "temperate" part of the UP. Yeah, right. I ain't bringing any sun-tan lotion if I come to visit during the winter!

I read a novel once where the protagonist had to hide out for a while, and chose the UP as a remote region. I have to believe that the author must have been writing the UP scenes from memory because suddenly the character's every word and bit of internal dialog rang really true to life.

He went outside wearing what he THOUGHT was winter gear, and tried to walk across a windy bridge. Suddenly he realized he wasn't going to be able to make it all the way across, OR go back, before freezing solid, dead-solid. Luckily a police car came by and rescued him and took him to a local store where he could buy REAL winter gear.

The other clue that the author must have discovered the real UP at some point in his life was the character's obsession with hot pasties once he discovered them. He had more to say about those pasties than about some of his characters. If I ever needed a favor from that author, I would go to his door with a big, hot pasty and then ask.
Nov 12, 2015 5:52 PM CST
Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
I have no use for internet bullies!
Avid Green Pages Reviewer Keeper of Poultry Vegetable Grower Rabbit Keeper Frugal Gardener Garden Ideas: Master Level
Plant Identifier Region: Georgia Native Plants and Wildflowers Composter Garden Sages Bookworm
This has been exciting. Watching a seed swap being born. Thumbs up
Thank you Dave for all the hard work to make this a reality for everyone! Thumbs up
I will watch and see how much fun everyone is having. Good luck to everyone and hope you get all the "dibs" you hope for. Rolling on the floor laughing Hurray! Hurray!
Sunset Zone 28, AHS Heat Zone 9, USDA zone 8b~"Leaf of Faith"
Nov 14, 2015 12:45 PM CST
Name: Judy
Simpsonville SC (Zone 7b)
Peonies Plant and/or Seed Trader I helped beta test the first seed swap Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Garden Ideas: Level 1
It was my fault, I worked long hours and didn't get caught up until this morning with taking the steps to go live. I'm caught up now.

You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.
  • Started by: dave
  • Replies: 52, views: 1,399
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Ballerina Rose Hybrid"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.